Free parking periods in town centres as part of new pilot
Periods of free parking in council-run short stay car parks are being introduced across Carmarthenshire as part of a new pilot initiative.
From Monday, October 29, visitors to the county’s main towns will be able to park for free if they arrive and stay within certain hours.
The initiative has been launched by Carmarthenshire County Council to support town centre traders.
Visitors will still need to obtain a ticket and display it as normal, however the ticket will be issued with no charge at the following locations and times during the pilot:
- Ammanford – Monday to Friday, 3.15pm – 6pm
- Carmarthen – Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3.30pm – 6pm
- Llanelli – Mondays and Tuesdays, 10am-4pm
- Llandeilo, Llandovery, Newcastle Emlyn and St Clears – Monday to Wednesday, 10am – 2pm
The pilot is in addition to the five free parking days the council offers town centres every year, which makes over 15,000 free spaces available to complement pre-planned events.
So far this year, the council has provided free parking on a number of days, including in all its car parks along the Tour of Britain route in September; for the Carmarthen Gwyl Canol Y Dre in July; a fair trade awareness day in Newcastle Emlyn in March; and a Food and Drink Festival in Llanelli last weekend.
The council has also support the Llanelli Business Improvement District team, Ymlaen Llanelli, on a ‘Park for a Pound’ scheme at the town’s multi-storey car park on Saturdays until the New Year.
Stephen Pilliner, Head of Highways and Transport, said: “This pilot initiative has been brought in as a way of supporting traders during the days and times they have told us are their quieter periods.”
Terms and conditions of the pilot:
- Free parking will only apply between the hours specified for each town
- Free parking will only apply to those using the short stay parking bays.
- Visitors will still need to obtain and display a ticket, but the ticket will be issued at no charge during the specified periods
- Long stay parking will operate as normal during the free periods. Parking during all periods outside the specified days and times will need to be paid for.